11.21.2009

Julstugan är här .... and gone, but it was fun.

Last night as I the church and turned on my iPod, I selected my "Christmas!!" playlist! Now, I usually don't start listening to Christmas music until December 1st because I don't want to be sick of hearing all the great songs before the big day actually arrives. However, I was told last week that "Julstugan" is kind of "the official start" for Christmas music to some people, and I have chosen to be one of those people. I LOVE Christmas music!
So, are you wondering what "Julstugan" is? well, the translation is "Christmas Cabin". Does that explain it for you? no? oh fine, me neither. Julstugan is actually a fund raiser for the youth group at the church. It is held every year and is a great time for the church and the community to come together in fellowship and fun. Throughout the church there are tables set up to sell items such as poinsettias, baked goods, hand knitted hats & mittens and other donated items. There are also many items that are raffled off, I was feeling very confident that I was going to win the Nintendo Wii with my one ticket since I was donating my time here, but then I saw that someone had purchased 10 tickets and I knew my chances of winning were very slim. I am still waiting for my phone to ring with the good news that I am the winner of a Wii, but I don't think it will happen. oh well. This event is very fun for everyone involved, but it is also very successful. This is the only fundraiser that the youth has each year, I think I heard someone say that last year they raised nearly $40,000 over the two days! yes, that is DOLLARS, not CROWNS, WOW! Hopefully they made the same this year.

I know you are probably just DYING to know what the first Christmas song that played on my iPod was, (it was a really good one and you should probably go check it out) "Come On! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance!" by Sufjan Stevens. One of my favorite lines is: "Chestnuts and fire, holly and hay, Jesus and Mary, what a great day!" His Christmas album is simply wonderful!


Gud Jul!!
Timmer

No comments: