11.02.2008

Toast.

Bacon, Eggs (over easy), Hash browns, Sausage, Ham & Pancakes; That is what I ordered at I.H.O.P. this morning and I was pretty excited to eat all of that deliciousness. Before the waitress was able to escape I managed to ask her for a side of wheat toast, so I would have something to mop up my plate. Everything came to the table in a speedy manner and it was all very good & filling.

Our waitress brought the checks and as I looked at the un-itemized bill, I thought $14.90 was a bit more than the $11.40 (or so) that it should have been. I asked one of the folks across the table, who had the same meal as me, what her bill was. she said, "about $12." I was taken back by this and could not think of what would have made my bill nearly $3 higher. The only thing we had different was my toast, but we laughed at the idea the toast would cost more than $1 so we just waited for our waitress to return.

When the waitress did return I asked her how much the toast cost. she responded, "$2.50".
I think my mouth was hanging open a bit and I responded (in a calm, still happy w/ my breakfast tone of voice) with, "what? really? those two slices of toast cost $2.50! I could go buy a loaf of bread for about $3 and have toast for a week.... really? $2.50?" to which she said, "yeah, that kinda surprises me too." and she waited for me to sign my receipt and after i signed and handed it to her (I could have put up a fight, but why, it's only $2.50 & i don't really care) she just walked away.

Yes, I could have looked at the menu or asked what the price was prior to adding my side of toast to my order, but should I really have been expecting it to be over $1? ... it's just toast! ..$2.50!

COME ON, I.H.O.P!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I like breakfast food & I hadn't been to I.H.O.P. in about 4 or 5 years so it's not that big of a deal, but because of their ridiculous cost of toast, I don't see myself returning anytime soon and possibly never again.

sorry International House of Pancakes.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I like how you seem to emphasize how much you don't care about this issue, yet you've written an entire blog post about it not to mention the 3 or 4 times I heard about it yesterday.