11.06.2009

Wednesday was a nice day

Jan & Lynn are an older couple from the international church (Fisherscreek International Church) that I met at the retreat my first weekend here. Jan is from southern Sweden and is still learning English, but is very good, especially since he gets many private lessons. Lynn is from Wales and has been an English teacher at the University here in Gothenburg for several years. They are a funny couple, in a good way. They have been together about 4 years, I believe, and even though they have grown kids, they seem as if they are in their 20’s when they are near one another.

A few weeks ago I went to the Swedish church (Fiskebäcks Missionskyrka) and Jan was singing in the gospel choir. I got a chance to talk to him during fika afterwards and he asked me if I’d ever be up for getting lunch or going for a walk or something. I like to eat and I like to go for walks, so I said, “sure, that’d be great!” We exchanged phone numbers and planned to meet in about a week and a half.

He called me on Tuesday to make sure I was still able to meet and he said he’d call me tomorrow after lunch to tell me a specific time. He, and Lynn, picked my up right around noon. It wasn’t the nicest day, cloudy, a slight wind and about 5 degrees (upper 30’s) but we had a very nice time. First, they took me to the University’s Botanical Gardens. I was a little hesitant since so many of the leaves have fallen off of everything but I figured it would at least be a nice walk and there would be good conversation. The gardens were beautiful! There were still plenty of plants that had their leaves, some were very colorful, and there were quite a few flowers still going strong, but after about 45 minutes we were all starting to get a little too chilled.

We got back in the car and they were going to bring me to lunch at “the best place in town!” Jan likes to cook, and he is very good. Lynn likes to bake, and Jan has told me she is also very good, both are kind of “foodies”, so I figured when they say that we’re going to “the best place in town” it is going to be good. We got to a place called Gunnebo’s Slot, which was built by a English guy back in the day. He came to Sweden started two businesses: 1. a logging company and 2. a mining company. He did OK for himself. Anyways, they place now is pretty nice, there is a horse stable, and organic garden and a restaurant, which we ate at. The food was pretty good, “nothing to write home about” except that I am, but whatever. It would have been much better if the fish didn’t have so much mustard on it, very spicy mustard, woof! After we ate we enjoyed tea and dessert.

It was a great day but it wore me out. I was in bed by 8:00.

No comments: